The course leads to a prestigious and well-regarded Qualification from the Institute of Leadership and Management which is nationally recognised, and improves understanding and confidence when managing people and resources at a middle or aspiring middle management level. The course covers the essential knowledge, skills and behaviours to enhance performance in a managerial role including managing self, leadership skills, managing innovation and change and enhancing performance of teams and individuals. It is delivered over 9 full days (to include a tutorial day), over a period of approximately 6 months, and includes practical and applicable assessments which add real value to the organisation (including an innovation/improvement project, and a leadership skills evaluation).
Please see the Order this course now section below for dates. Please contact us for availability.
This is a 9 session course spread over approximately 6 months.
- Day 1. Induction and the organisation context of Leadership and Management
- ILM – about the qualification and about the course
- Referencing and research skills
- Understanding assessments and how to get the best from the course
- Knowledge, Skills and Habits – understanding management competencies
- Mission, Vision and Values and how these tie into leadership
- Manager or Leader? Understanding the difference
- The nature & purpose of the organisation and analysing stakeholder relationships and organisational structure
- Understanding how the organisation is affected by the macro-environment
- How drivers for change impact upon organisations.
- Organisational culture – understanding culture and how this impacts on the performance of the organisation.
- CPD – how to make the best of the learning opportunity
- Day 2. Identifying and evaluating opportunities for innovation & change in the organisation
- Understand the need for innovation & improvement in the organisation
- Effectiveness versus Efficiency
- Review the effectiveness of the organisation & self in managing and improving quality to meet customer requirements, and requirements of partners and other agencies.
- Creative problem solving techniques to generate options
- Investigating and evaluating options including cost benefit analysis, payback, and cost comparison models
- Creating success criteria and scoring mechanisms to identify preferred solution and for measuring success of implementation
- Planning for successful implementation – how to overcome barriers and minimise risks.
- Day 3. Implementing and communicating decisions to others at times of change
- The role of the leader in supporting through change.
- Planning your approach – transformational or incremental?
- Recognising the range of emotions during change and how to manage these in yourself and others.
- Writing success criteria
- Implementation of changes and communicating the changes to overcome barriers and manage risks.
- Gaining and maintaining commitment for changes
- Techniques for monitoring and evaluating outcomes of change
- Action learning sets – method and use
- Day 4. Practical workshop on innovation/improvement projects and Tutorial
- Practical case studies based on delegates’ own identified improvement/innovation projects
- Action learning sets
- Tutorial support towards assessed work on work based project.
- Day 5. Leadership Styles and Emotional intelligence
- Understand own ability to fulfil key responsibilities of the leadership role – what makes a good leader / good manager?
- Evaluating your own leadership and management performance.
- Theories on leadership and their relevance to own role & performance – what is your default style and when is this helpful/unhelpful.
- Understanding Emotional Intelligence
- Leading by example and managing your own emotions – what signals do you give out?
- Mental Toughness
- Day 6. Enhancing Performance of Teams and Individuals
- Setting and clarifying direction and cascading objectives
- Delegation and empowerment – how to use these effectively as motivational tools
- Team versus individual objectives – how to set, monitor and review for improved performance
- Stages in team development, use of team roles for building a balanced team
- The importance of direction and values in creating effective teams
- Managing at a distance – techniques to help.
- Engaging a coaching style and how to use the GROW model in the context of setting team and individual objectives towards enhanced performance
- Day 7. Supporting individual development & Managing Performance
- Understanding the Performance Management Cycle and how this links to overall organisational performance.
- Understanding the legal framework and how this translates into practice through policies and procedures
- Perceptions and duty of care
- Performance Management techniques
- Setting and clarifying expectations and objectives
- Disciplinary and capability – how to handle these correctly
- Managing difficult conversations and creating improvement plans.
- Giving feedback to others in the right way
- Day 8. Influencing skills and making a case through professional presentations and briefings.
- Influencing skills – what’s in it for them?
- Preparing to state your case – knowing and understanding audience needs
- Briefing or presentation – understanding how to pitch accordingly
- Clarifying your objective and framing your ideas
- Planning and preparation for maximum impact
- Managing Nerves
- The importance of credibility and how to manage difficult situations
- Posing and responding to questions in the right way
- Tutorial Guidance towards final presentations day.
- Day 9. Continued Personal & professional Development & Individual assessed presentations
- Individual assessed presentations
- Peer group and tutor feedback
- Action learning sets for future improvement
- CPD update and completion of personal development action plans
- Programme review
Assessment: 1 x individual assessed presentation; 1 x work based innovation/improvement report; 1 x work based assignment (based on Becoming an Effective Leader). Each of these pieces covers a variety of the ILM required assessed units.
All assessed work will be based on own work situation and organisation in order to bring real life benefits to the business.
Venue and Fees
Venue : Challenge Consulting,Nottingham NG14 6EH
Cost per delegate £1,595 + VAT fully inclusive of registration fees, tutorial support between sessions and marking.
Full Brochure with Dates
Order this course now
Select from one of the course dates below to add it to your shopping cart